One of the best things about summer vacation is the flexibility of the schedule. Families with two parents working might not have this same experience, but since I am home, it is really nice to let the boys sleep "until the sleep is off of them" as my Grandma used to say. With the fresh air and water activities and heat and running and growth spurts, these guys have had some monster sleeps already this summer. We can also run errands whenever it works out, or go to the library or the park. The afterschool hours are so tight that its nice to have a whole day to work with.
Being 4 and 6 now, they really do play together more than ever this summer. Sam can pretty well keep up and Casey does well with Sam's questions. They both have incredible imaginations and its remarkable all they can do with a few toys on the living room window sill. Tonight, Jeff asked Sam if he thought Casey was the coolest guy around. "Yeah." he said. And Casey replied the same about Sam a few minutes later. I joke about how they go from best friends to mortal enemies in a matter of seconds, but in reality they do play really well together most of the time. I feel so grateful that they have each other.
Another thing I appreciate about summer vacation is the lack of socks in the laundry - everyone is in crocs and sandals!
And lastly, I feel like the unscheduled days allows for creativity, especially for Casey. We do some school type activities almost every day but he gets to pick them - what letter to draw or what words to write or which flashcards to flip though, instead of having his homework decide.
We were at Target the other day and I was shocked to see all the back to school stuff already out. How rude! We are just getting started with summer, and I will be avoiding school supplies for quite awhile yet :)
No comments:
Post a Comment