These summer days are longer than we have been used to, with both boys home all day. There are many good things about it - there really are. But I feel like my vocabulary has been reduced to four phrases.
1 - Stop it. I think I say this about 54 times a day. Sometimes, if I cannot see the activity that my ears are telling me is a bad choice, it is proceeded with "Whatever you are doing..." I say it to Sam more that I say it to Casey. Not that there are more incidents with Sam, but because Casey almost always "stops it" when I ask once. With Sam, I often have to say 2 or 3 or 4 times before he notices me, which leads to my follow up "Can you hear me talking?"
2 - Don't. This phrase usually means that I am in the same space as the boys and I see the wheels turning in their heads and I am attempting to preempt the bad choice they are about to make. This is often met with some oops-she-is-standing-right-there giggles and then, depending on the day (or the child), they either end the mission or move on ahead, leading back to "Stop it."
3 - Wait. What age is it again that kids learn patience? Oh, they learn it from me? Ok well that explains everything. Whether it is dealing with torturous packaging, fixing something, looking for something or me on the phone, there are times they these guys just cannot WAIT a second for anything. It's maddening. Mostly because my next word is....
4 - Come ON. When I am in a hurry, suddenly they are in slow motion. Getting out of the house, getting through a store, leaving a park. Ugh.
The best is when we are walking somewhere, or in a store, or whatever and one of them is a block in front of me and the other is a block behind me. I simply cannot manage that kind of gap. So I am yelling "WAIT" to one and "Come ON" to the other. Perhaps my skills are limited but they will have to adjust.
I promise to sometime soon blog about all the great things of summer. Promise.
1 comment:
Julian put his finger in my face yesterday and said, "Mama, don't do that. I told you twice!" I'm guessing that he's seen me do that move a number of times, and it is now a part of his repertoire! He is also constantly wanting to "do it meself" but that means it's going to take four times as long. Ugh. Patience is a growing need at our place too! Glad to know we are in this together. Sending love to you and the boys.
Post a Comment