Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Santa's Return...

This Christmas the boys got into the idea of making some room for new toys in the basement play room by selecting a few to give away to other kids.  I told them that Santa would take them for us.  So, late on Christmas Eve, Casey put his big fire truck (last years gift) under the tree for Santa to pick up.  And amazingly, in the morning it was gone!  In his mind, taken by red velvet sack and sleigh ride to another lucky boy somewhere.  In reality it was on the top shelf of the guest room closet.  I realized after it was under the tree that I didn't really have a plan of what to do with it. 
Fast forward to last week.  Casey comes out of the guest room with a look of total bewilderment on his face.  "MOM!  There is something VERY interesting in the guest room closet!"  Uh-oh.  With no time to think or look this up (and unsure if there is a chapter on this anywhere) I tried to be very low key about it.  I agreed that this was very interesting indeed.  "I don't know Case, maybe Santa didn't have room in his bag?"  I called Jeff, we laughed about it.  We don't mind the Santa stuff but we're also not really wanting a web of lies around the whole thing.  He let it go at that point, but we knew it wouldn't last.  Last weekend at the men's retreat at church, Jeff was sharing with some guys about the dilemma and our friend, Tony, aka Santa dresser upper, volunteered to help us out. 
So, Sunday afternoon as we were getting ready for the Super Bowl, there was a knock at the door.  Casey went to the door, looked out and then said "Mom, I think you better get it" with that excited little smile.  It was Santa!  In February!  It had come to his attention, he told the boys, that he left something behind at our house.  Casey went right to the closet and got out the firetruck.  He helped Santa get it into his red velvet bag and Santa thanked him for thinking of other kids.  He had some treats for the boys and he was off.  Casey seemed pleased to have it all resolved, and got down to business enjoying his treats.
It was funny, just as Santa was walking down our front path, a car drove by our house and he waved at them.  The woman in the passenger seat waved back and looked really confused :)
Thanks Tony!!  We owe you one!

1 comment:

yourpalamybrown said...

I love this story and I am laughing out reading it! Thanks for brightening my day!