Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Casey's First Day of Kindergarten

Well, it's finally here.  We were up early and got ourselves together and made the first of many walks to the elementary school in our neighborhood.  Casey was VERY excited.  In fact he didn't really see why we couldn't go the moment he woke up... "What do you mean the school isn't open yet?  Its the first day of kindergarten!" 
For the first day, they had all the kids line up by class (there are 3) and all the teachers and aides came out to say hello.  Then we got to go in with the class and find their lockers and take them into the classroom to get settled.  Casey was just happy to be there, we saw no fear or worry at all.  There were a few kids really struggling, telling parents they didn't want to stay.  I am very grateful Casey was not having that particular emotion as it may have sent me right over the edge.

Before the 3 of us left, he was talking this poor kids ear off
After the drop off, Jeff went to work and Sam and I ran errands and went to the library.  On the way back from the bibrary, I told Sam we were going home for lunch. 
"Will Dad be there?" "No, not today." I told him. 
"We have to go get Casey first?" he asked,  "No, Casey eats lunch at school now." 
Silence. 
Then, slightly appalled, "So it's just me and you?"

We had our lunch together and then we played outside and went for a walk around the block.  Then it was time for quiet time.  I think this was the time I missed Casey the most.  We have gotten into a nice routine of doing something together for part of quiet time - books, blocks, his kindergarten workbook.  And today it was just quiet.

The pick-up was exciting too as everyone stood outside waiting to make sure their kid had a great day.  Casey was happy to see us - Sam was really happy to see Casey.  Jeff and I had talked about this part - how would Casey be feeling - what does he need after school - will he be tired?  hungry?  hyper? cranky?  The answer is, at least for today, all of the above.  As we walked home we asked him questions and he answered them, some with enthusiasm, some not.  In between he would mope a little about how tired he was.  Once we got home and had a snack, I was sort of watching him to see what he wanted to do.  Basically he wanted to be alone or at least, he wanted Sam to leave him alone.  "But I love him" Sam said to me when I asked him to give Casey a little space.  Casey was pretty moody though - he wanted to be alone, but then he wanted to curl up on my lap and read books, and then he wanted to play outside and then he wanted to play a video game... he and Sam fought a lot.   Mostly, I think he was exhausted.  And based on the fact that he is asleep already tonight, its a safe bet. 

Over the course of the evening we were able to gather some information though.... he thinks his teacher is nice and funny.  He liked story time because it was a book that we had checked out this summer and he was excited that it showed up at school.  He liked having a lunch packed for him, but there were too many Cheez-Its.  He ate lunch with 2 boys - one he met at 4 year old preschool and one he met at the open house - "I made sure to introduce them mama."  At one point when I thought he may have actually dozed off on my shoulder he said "I am having a little problem... lower case b's and d's look the same and I can't tell them apart" so I guess they did some letters.  

Before he drifted off to night of interesting dreams, he said he was excited to go back.

No comments: