Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sam's First Day of PreSchool


Finally it was Sam's turn to go to school.  Last night, he got to lay out his clothes too.  He has been talking about preschool to anyone that would listen for about a month.  He has been so excited, so I was sort of surprised when I heard from the backseat "Mama I think I just stay home with you today.  I don't needa go preschool."  Wait, what?  All the way there, he came up with all kinds of things he wanted to do - all involving heading back home.  At one point he even asked if I needed to go to the grocery store, and did I need his help!  It was a bit reminissent of swimming lessons (minus the crying) but mostly in the category of I Didn't See This Coming.
We arrived at the school and I just moved ahead as planned, got him out of the car, strapped on his Dora back pack and ran (it was raining) to the building.  As soon as we opened the door we could hear that other kids were having some issues with the drop off as well.  I don't know what went through Sam's mind - it was either "Oh man, I don't want to be like that" or "I need to get out of this hallway of screaming kids."  But whatever it was, his attitude changed completely and we got his stuff onto his hook and he was hugging his teacher, saying good morning and stomping his foot so she could see that his shoes light up.  He gave me a quick wave and he was gone!
As I walked out to the car, I had another I Didn't See This Coming moment... I sort of lost it.  Not sure exactly what happened; I was emotional about kindergarten on Labor Day but not as much at the drop off.  I had not felt too emotional about preschool, but maybe that was because I was too focused on kindergarten.  Maybe it was some relief that the first drop offs were done now, or more likely a reaction to taking our "baby" to school.  There has not been a new baby to take the title from Sam (I'm ok with that) so I probably have kept him in that spot for too long.  He is so darn cute and funny and social and brave and smart.  He really is a big kid.  Maybe that's what I didn't see coming.

He was thrilled to see me at pick-up, not because he was miserable but because he had so much to report.  They read books, talked about the weather, they have playdoh!  He got to go to the bathroom with everyone, there is a girl named Rebecca, and a boy named Wil, he made us a picture, he learned a song about a bean bag, he ate a snack with juice and they played with a parachute.  Basically, he LOVED it!  We went to lunch with Jeff (he picked Pizza Hut - his favorite) and then came home for what I thought would be a very quiet Quiet Time.  But just to fit with the Day of the Unexpected, Sam did not sleep a wink during quiet time.  He stayed in his room, talking and singing to himself, but never dozed off.  I really didn't see that coming :)

No comments: