I know our faithful readers are eager to hear how the TBall Cubbies are doing this season. In short, pretty bad. But that's alright! This year, they are actually keeping score in TBall which we think is sort of ridiculous. It pushes coaches to teach more strategy than skills and it discourages coaches from letting kids play all the positions because you need the best kids at first base, etc. I don't think its a good change. But interestingly enough, no one asked me. How odd.
Casey is enjoying himself at the games pretty much, but not enjoying getting ready for games or being informed that it is time to go to a game. This may not be his thing. And that's alright. He is running the bases about 60 times faster this year than last year - in almost every game at some point he outruns the kid from the other team that is trying to tag him out. He is hitting the ball harder, and batting about .500 with coach pitch that just started. He is more aware of the game and his teammates and being supportive.
The other night he made a great run to home base - a kid from the other team was about to tag him as he crossed the plate and the umpire dramatically signaled/yelled "SAFE!" He was ecstatic - pumping his fists and yelling. Everyone was clapping for him so I just barely heard him ask the scorekeeper if he had just gotten a home run :)
 |
| Best I could capture of his great run into home |
But the other night he told me that he would rather play soccer. I guess he has played it in gym class and likes it. I know soccer is a lot easier for kids to jump into, and its more active. Neither Jeff or I are into soccer or know anything about it so I guess that's why we veered towards TBall. However, we are not into making our kids suffer. Casey is ok with finishing this season of TBall, but we have told him that next time around he can have more say. The tricky part could be Sam - who I have been telling for 2 years that he will play TBall with Casey when he is 4. Let me state for the record now that we will not have 2 kids in different sports at the same time when our children are 4 and 6. No way. Eventually they can have different interests, but not yet. We'll sign them up for a soccer camp this summer and see what everyone thinks after that. Participating in any activity is a big undertaking - equipment, uniforms, practice, disrupted dinner hour and on and on. So it is important that the boys enjoy what they are doing or it's sort of silly.
 |
| Post Game huddle |
The same day I had this conversation with Casey about soccer, he was asked to lead the team prayer after the game. I could hear his voice but not his words, so later that night I asked him what he said in his prayer. "Oh you know, I thanked God that everyone had fun and it was a nice day and no one got hurt. And I asked that God would help us in the rest of our games because next year I am playing soccer instead." Nice.
 |
| Macy and Sammy |
Sam does very well at the games, mostly due to his new friend Macy. Her older brother is on the team too so she is dragged along to all the games like Sam is. He is such a creative and funny kid - he makes up games to play and has a great time. Tonight they played hide and seek for a whole inning - and there is only one hiding spot. They keep each other well entertained and I am so grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment