Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Soon Enough

When Sam was born, I remember feeling totally overwhelmed by having 2 kids.  Sam needed so much and I felt like I wasn't paying any attention to Casey.  I recall crying a lot to be honest as we adjusted to our "new normal".  During that time, I emailed my friend Shannon and asked her how she did it and I always remember what she said - It won't get easier but it will get better.  And over the last almost 3 years I have come to agree with her.  We have been in a few different phases now (with many yet to come of course) and it does keep getting better, even if it isn't easier. 
One of the things that has not gotten easier is the grocery store.  Taking both boys to the grocery store is basically awful.  Casey is too big to be in the cart but just cannot seem to stay with me.  Sam rides in the little car in front of the cart but is constantly trying to hop out (none of the straps work despite my repeated requests to the store), and I always come home having forgotten a number of things because I simply cannot focus.  Most of the time I go with just Sam while Casey is at school and this is quite doable.   Recently I have needed to go on non school days and yesterday while I was on such an outing I realized I am looking at an entire summer of this.  Another woman in the store passed us at one point and made the classic "Looks like you have your hands full" comment, and I said "Should be a great summer".  Towards the end of the store we passed the blood pressure machine where I often stop.  Casey asked if I was going to stop and I told him now would not be a good time to check my blood pressure.  I was of course, assuming he would not get this comment.  But then he said to me "You know Mom, soon enough, me and Sam will both be in school and you will be able to come to the grocery store all by yourself!"  Sigh.   He is so funny.  What 4 year old says "Soon enough"?   
Of course he is right - soon enough they will be in college making bad choices at the grocery store all by themselves.   And I will be like so many moms I know, telling younger moms how much I miss the days of having 2 little guys to cart around everywhere.  What is that?  Because I can promise you there is not a reason in the world to miss what goes on during those grocery store trips.  But I probably will.   I know as they get older they just start ignoring you, messing with your emotions, having over committed schedules that you have to taxi for and questionable friends (sign me up for the Optimist Club right?), and I suppose there could be a time where one might think "Remember when the hardest thing was keeping everyone together in the grocery store?"  I guess that's the part about it not getting easier.   I do look forward though to them growing into themselves, finding their passions, blazing their own trail, even if it is with questionable friends.  Maybe that's the "it gets better" part. 
This summer Jeff and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary - isn't that something?  And soon enough, at our 30th, Sam will have just graduated high school (fingers crossed).  I have a feeling these 15 are going to by a little quicker than the first 15.  Not because there are easier, but because they are better. 

3 comments:

April said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks.

Boppa and Grammy said...

You are so right on!
"Soon enough" - Casey the philosopher/psychologist/social worker!
Mom

Mira Conklin said...

This post made me smile and made me excited for the changes that are coming our way. I'm often anxious about entering parenthood, because I know that some of the changes will be difficult and I fear losing elements of our life as it is now. But I also know that things will keep getting better and better. I hope you're able to be in the moment and appreciate the present as much as possible in these next months and years!
Hugs,
Mira