For example, I get frustrated when Casey can't (or won't as I see it) start doing his own buckles in his car seat. He is certainly ready for the next stage of booster but still within the limits of his. I see other kids at 4 year old preschoo hop into their cars and buckle themselves in to seats like his. But he won't. Sometimes he will get the straps over his shoulders but he won't attempt to latch anything. I am always getting Sam's done across the way and trying to be encouraging but he just won't.
Then, the other day we were playing Star Fall - the phone rang and I got up and was then on the phone for about 5 minutes. I came back to find him moving through the letters with no problem. All by himself! On this laptop mouse that baffles intelligent adults. It would have never occurred to me to let him try that.
Sam loves to read and be read to - its a many times per day activity. So I thought it would be safe to let him have a non-board book in his bed with him. He loves his books I though, he wouldn't want to ruin one of them. WRONG.
But recently when I am unloading the dishwasher he wants to help with the sippy cups, by getting the stoppers into the tops and matching them with a cup. He also likes to help by handing me plates and silverware to be put away. He is a huge help! But it never occurred to me to ask him to.
I suppose this all part of parenting - trying to keep up with everyone's skill sets, trying not to set yourself or your child up for frustration but not unknowingly holding them back. Sigh. Good thing we only have two.
The boys got into my running headbands this morning... its a good look for them, no?
1 comment:
So true! Hang onto this insight - you'll need it over and over again.
Fabulous hats!
Grammy
Post a Comment