Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's Been A While!


Sorry to keep all our blog faithful waiting!! We are a one camera family and since Jeff was leaving for Ghana, I decided he should take it. But Casey and I did visit family in Wisconsin over the weekend and they took pictures and sent them over - whew!
Flying with Casey by myself actually went ok. It forced me to be very organized and pack very light. Our flight over was fine even though the woman who had the seat next me gave me the "don't even let that kid touch me or my stuff" look as we sat down. The trip back however was a whole different story. I am just grateful to the young man who earned himself a special place in heaven as he quite graciously helped me entertain Casey for 90 minutes while we sat on the plane at the gate waiting to take off for this 1 hour flight. He said his girlfriend is starting to talk about getting married and having children but he isn't ready. By the end of this trip I told him that I won't tell her, but he is ready. It wasn't that Casey was being difficult he was just cooped up on my half lap on a crowded plane. Of course once the engines started up for take off he conked out for the duration.
Our visit was nice - Casey got to see all his grandparents and amaze them with his babbling stories and sparkling personality. We had a shower for my sister, due in just a few weeks now (!) and just had a relaxing time.
Casey continues to amaze us with his energy - he basically has two speeds - 100 miles an hour and sound asleep. He is always going, babling to himself along the way. He is a climber and a reader and a major Winnie the Pooh fan. For a while now, Jeff and I have both been Mommy to him, but just before Jeff left, he seemed to graduate to "dada mommy" which is sweet. Yesterday Jeff called home and when he greeted Casey on speaker phone, Casey grinned at me and said "dada mommy". I could hear Jeff's heart melting over the phone. One night when I put him to sleep at my parents, he called out for me a few times. I was just outside the door in case it got more serious than that. He called "mommy?" a few times and then it was quiet. Then "dada mommy?" then it was quiet enough that I headed for the stairs, and then I heard "puppy?" I had to cover my mouth to not laugh out loud - it was like - "Aren't ANY of my people out there????"
In general he continues to sleep quite well, and his eating has gotten a little hit or miss. Thank God for cereal bars.
As Jeff was getting ready to leave, I had a moment of wondering how military families do this. Watching him play with Casey before he left, I was comforted by the fact that Casey won't be much different 10 days later, and no one would be shooting at Jeff where he was going, and yet it was still stressful and emotional to watch him go. I don't know how families are dealing with these repeat deployments of 12 - 18 months at a time. I just don't know.
Anyway, we are fine. Its good to be home - we don't have too much going on now until Jeff gets back. And I won't have a camera until then either. But we will be in touch next week.

The pregnant sisters - we have to do the A-frame hug!

Reading with Grandpa

3 comments:

yanela and mark said...

Bridget - I love the sweater vests! Can't get Ale in em enough! And I think Y can empathize with you about the being gone thing, I'm on my way to Cali for 2 weeks, but of course, she's not pregnant as well. YOu are indeed a trooper! We look forward to the Wisonsin possibilities!

mark

Anonymous said...

Hooray! The blog is back and I am elated .. missed seeing Casey .. and you too, Bridget! Sending lots of hugs & kisses to all.

Sarah Q said...

that is so exciting that both you and your sister are expecting!