Saturday, April 13, 2013

Mini Martian Marathon

Casey signed up for the running club this year at school.  Due to weather, the running club has not yet met.  But traditionally the running club finishes its season by participating in the Mini Martian Marathon.  Kids can track their running in the spring, hopefully totaling 25 miles, then on the day of the race they run 1.2 miles and get their marathon finishers medal.  Very cool idea!  So we didn't get all 25 miles in, but Casey was still very excited to run his first real race today.  I ran with him, and I am grateful I had planned to do that - the scene was pretty chaotic and I saw many parents deciding to run out of concern of ever finding their kid again if they didn't and I don't blame them.  One mile is not a long way but I was glad to have my tennis shoes on.
In getting ready for the race, Casey and I talked a lot about pace.  I was a little worried since he had never run a whole mile at once.  We talked about how if you want to run the whole thing you have to hold back a bit in the beginning so you don't run out of energy before its over.  I had to tell him to slow down a bit in the beginning.  By the end I was grateful to a few older boys who proved my point for me -we ran right past them as they huffed and puffed and walked into the finish.  Casey was happy to point out to me that he ended up finishing ahead of them because he paced himself.  He had great time and I was really proud of him!
So Casey has his first medal for running and its even shaped like a martian!
getting ready to get started
Checking out the hardware
After shot with mom

No comments: