Friday, September 3, 2010

New Do's and New Shoes

It's that time of year.  I know Sam isn't going to school but he sure enjoyed participating in the  back to school shoe shopping and hair cutting :)
A note about the shoes.  Sams are red converse and Jeff and I LOVE them.  He is enamored with the stars on the sides and yes they are a little bit big.  I figured better a bit big than just exactly right (until next week).
I have been seeing these shoes that light up for a number of years and thinking they were sort of silly.  What is the point of this?  Why would people buy those for their kids?  So there we were in Target and Casey makes a bee line for these light up Spiderman shoes.  Are you kidding?  His initial excitement was about Spiderman - a new character in our life.  But then he saw that they light up and he was over the top excited.   And I realized I had been a bit judgmental - I never considered that I would be in an aisle of a store with a kid I love more than anything asking for these shoes, dancing and jumping around at the mere thought of owning these shoes.  They don't cost more than any other shoes, and it's not like he needs arch support for running a marathon.  So, now I know why parents get these weird light up shoes for their kids, and from now on I will see them as a indication that the kids wearing the light up shoes have a parent that saw their excitement and went along with it.  Casey has chosen them over his crocs every day since we got them, and has pointed them out to pretty much every one he has come into contact with.  Now I am just hoping that he gets over the need to watch them light up as he runs causing him to run into things - many things.  That can't last right?  :)

3 comments:

Mira Conklin said...

The shoe shot is precious. I LOVE those Converse! And the image of Casey running with his head craning to see the backs of his shoes made me laugh :)

Beth said...

I cannot express to you the extreme irony of this post. I am in the EXACT same boat (except for Carson's $1 pair of Mom2Mom light-up sandals that stopped working 1/4 way through the summer). We bought both kids light shoes 8 days ago and they wore them to church the next day. I never got it before :). Well written, my friend, and well played!

Lucy said...

R.I.P Crocs! :)