
Well, with all due respect for the last 2 wonderful years of our life ...
Yesterday, we took the boys to the fair in town and spent $40 on corn dogs, fries and tickets for the train ride. We are real parents now.
It might be crazy to be out and about with a 6 day old, but when you consider the compounding effect of the weeks of bed rest, I just want to get out of the house. And since I feel good and Sam sleeps through everything, it felt doable. And it was. Casey was technically tall enough for some more exciting rides but we reminded ourselves that he is tall for his age and might not be mentally ready to be flying through the air on a swing. So we stuck with the train. Which he loved all 4 times he went on it. It went around about 5 or 6 times - no parents allowed - and he just really enjoyed it. I instantly turned into "obnoxious mom" standing at the rail and waving profusely every time he came by. One time he looked right at me and yelled "I on train!" Jeff got the pleasure of pulling him off of it every time -

... and Sam slept through the whole thing.

Casey kept talking about the train last night and it was one of his first thoughts this morning as well. He's hooked.
2 comments:
Lenawee County has like a thousand fairs all summer long, it's hard! But Allison loves it too! Way to go Casey! It's amazing what babies can sleep through. Amy
Dear Jeff and Bridget,
Congratulations to all three of the Nelson's on the birth of baby Sam. Bridget, reading your comments regarding having two little boys to care for really brought back a bucket on memories for my with my two guys. Ryan was the baby from hell - with constant colic for the first 6 months of his life. I took a leave of absence from my full time job to stay home with the two of them - it was heading into fall with cold, dark days ahead of us...I had never been home full time with even Erik before, and now here I was with two of them. And one a screamer at that. Erik had just turned three - I think he learned to read because all we could do was "read" the Disney books on tape, while I held screaming baby Ryan and Erik turned the pages every time the tape "beeped". Honestly, that kid Ryan screamed so much, and NEVER slept that Erik and I thought we would go crazy. Erik wanted to put him in the garage so that we couldn't hear him cry. Erik nicknamed him, "Cryin' Ryan". Ah, memories...Dave's idea of helping was to use his one week paternity leave to bust up the back cement patio with a jackhammer (true!), while I held fort with the two boys in the house. Ah, it seems so long ago - and just yesterday.
I am glad you are more comfortable, if albeit tired. I don't think I slept a full night for years. And now on the opposite end of the time spectrum - now I wait up because they're out somewhere at 1AM and I hear a siren. It never really gets easier, sorry to say, it just gets different.
Hope to see and the boys soon,
best to everyone -
Linda Anderson
Post a Comment