Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Progress (or a lack there of), Humility and Control (or a lack there of)


It is true, as everyone has said, that once you feel you are getting the hang of things with your baby, things change. Sometimes these changes are welcome, like the fact that Casey has slept through the night 4 nights in a row! Woo hoo! This a trend we like to see. He is also making steady strides on eating - more baby food, more sippy cup, and loving fruit in the meshy thing. On the other hand, our daytime sleeping has become a battle for the ages. He rubs his eyes, he gets cranky, but he won't give it up to take a nap. The other day I spent almost 2 hours trying to get him to go from rubbing eyes and crying to relaxing and maybe even sleeping. I was able to get him to sleep a few times but lost it in the transition to the crib - ugh - start over. I should have just gotten in the car and drove him around.
Speaking of the car, here is an exercise in humility. Raise your hand if you have ever found yourself needing to install a car seat ... that's probably all I have to say.
Anyway, I now understand that the current routine won't last long, even if you love how its going. Our routine, as well as our child, are just 2 more things in the world that are not in my control - surprise, surprise. A pastor I know (and happen to be married to) gave a great sermon on our lack of control this Sunday. It was a good message for me, although I hope he wrote it with more people in mind :) It's hard to accept that so many things are out of our control. I heard a woman who was a cancer survivor say that she was grateful to cancer for teaching her that the control she thought she had had always been an illusion. She is right I think, we are not in control, we just think we are. All we can control, according to the sermon, is the person we are becoming. And actually as I think about it, that's plenty. No control over other people, their actions, their reactions, your child's temperment at any given moment, the weather, traffic, and so many other things that can sort of make you nuts. Accepting this is sort of a relief - we can let it all go! But we have to trade in the work of trying to control others for being more responsible for ourselves; because if we cannot control others, then others cannot control us, which means we cannot blame others for our problems. Easier said than done, but worth the effort I think. So that's my rambling for today ... back to my fabulous son who will likely continue to expose my illusion of control :)

2 comments:

April said...

Amen to not being in control! What a relief. It's been a while since I was on the blog, but Casey is certainly the cutest! Love, April

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe I haven't commented on this entry. It rained here and my school started to flood a little bit, but now its nicer. I hope weather is good there. My mom is going to Michigan for the weekend and might see you, but My MOM won't let me go!!!!!!! :* ( * is a tear..... if you can't tell. Got to go!