Friday, June 9, 2006

On Coming Home....


Mom and CJ are still in the hospital this morning and I am here in the house alone. It is quiet - strangely so - the calm before the storm perhaps. Sometime in the next 8 hours or so weÂ’ll bring him home.

To be honest weÂ’re not sure what to expect. We had a little moment last night where the reality that these past days in the hospital havenÂ’t been some extended baby sitting experience hit us hard. We looked at each other with both excitement and fear (emotions that have been commingled a lot this past week.) It is true that things have gone so well in the hospital these past days. Hardly a problem at all. There has hardly been a time where CJ has been fussy - hardly a time where he has cried at all. Will that continue once we are on our own? Where is the little red button around here that with one push brings someone right through the front door to lend a hand or answer a question? This morning I sit in the quiet of this house and I wonder - can we make this house a home?

Then it dawns on me - we already have. This is already our home. In fact, everywhere we have been we've always been at home. Why? I suppose because wherever we have been weÂ’ve been there together. Home to me is where Bridget is. It doesnÂ’t matter if it was a two bedroom apartment or a two man tent. It doesn't matter if is a hotel room or hospital room - a mansion or a cardboard box when we are together - we are home.

I suppose home from now one will be where he is too. Is there a lot to figure out? Absolutely. I guess we'll just figure it out like we always have - we'll figure it out together.

I just got a call from Bridget. Casey and she will be discharged by noonÂ…welcome home!

There is no combination of words
I could put on the back of a postcard
And no song that I could sing,
but I can try for your heart
Our dreams, and they are made out of real things
Like a shoebox of photographs with sepia tone loving

Love is the answer
At least for most of the questions in my heart
Why are we here and where do we go
And how come it's so hard
It's not always easy and sometimes life can be deceiving
I'll tell you one thing
It's always better when we're together


PS - The Tigers are back on the winning side of things - protecting both their lead in the division and their hold on baseball's best recorddivisionbeat their divsion rival White Sox 6 - 2 on another strong pitching preformance by the veteran Kenny Rogers. Rogers had a rough start but hung in there to get the victory - forshadowing to what these first days at home might be like - we'll just have to wait and see.