
6/8/2006 2:55 AM
Dear CJ,
It is late on this the second day of your life among us. Let me say this to you before I say anything else, "I love you." It is truly an honor to be your father. We had a moment tonight I want to tell you about. I was up to the hospital to visit you and your mom tonight (you're coming home Friday so I won't have to go so far to see you.) Your mom stepped into the bathroom to take shower so it was just you and me. I picked you up out bassinetette and carried you over to the bed. I laid you down and wrapped you up tight in your blanket and then picked you up so we could sit there together. The bed was tilted to about 70 degrees so I was able to sit with my legs stretched out. I laid you down on my chest and there we sat - just the two of us. After a few minutes you slid down until your head rested on my heart and then you feel asleep. Your breathing and my heart rate seem to be almost in sync. I sat there in the silence and I just smiled.
It was a moment you won't remember and a moment I will never forget. And then it happened again - time stood still. Nothing else mattered to me in the world. I could sit there forever. I even thought to myself, "If I never do anything else the rest of my life - I will have done enough." The ancient Greeks called such moments Kairos - the moments when the fullness of time is experienced. These are moments when the desires of your hearts, the inclination of your soul and the action of your person are lined up with nothing short than the very will of God. Kairos moments are moments where you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are in the right place, doing the right thing with the right people and last night you ushered me into just such a moment. All I can do is say, "Thank you."
I don't know what tomorrow will bring or the tomorrow after that but what I do know is that tonight I am eager to wake up in the morning and find out!
Good night, my boy!
Peace and love,
Dad
PS - The Tigers lose another close one to the White Sox, 3 - 4. The lead in the division drops to just .5 over the team from Chicago's sout side. I guess the same thing applies to baseball...we'll just to wake up and see what happens tomorrow.