When Casey was about 8 weeks old Jeff and I were given an alumni award from our college and they gave us this shirt for Casey... I remember looking at it then thinking - he will never be this big :) Well, here he is in his "future blugold" shirt and its fits just right.
Casey's birthday is finally upon us! He has already had the party and opened all the gifts - tonight he gets to pick where we go for dinner and then we put away the 12 days of birthdays for another year.
Earlier this week we attended Casey's kindergarten preview and he is so excited about it. Perhaps because he has just been in crowds of people since he was born but nothing about that day intimidated him. We are hopeful that this explains why he was the only kid who could not sit still for parts of this orientation. Ahem. Anyway, while other kids were a little shy or nervous he jumped right in and loved every minute of it. He is really fixated on the rest time and lunch time components of his kindergarten day, probably because the other classroom parts felt familiar from preschool. Today he asked me if I was going to miss him at lunch time here at home. I said "Yes, I think I will. Will you miss me?" He was very thoughtful about it as he said "uummm maybe".
Casey has some new favorite phrases lately - like "I hate not doing what I want." And a new "humpf" sound he makes repeatedly when he is not getting his way. He has been giving us a real run for our money here and there, and does know how to stand his ground. My dad the therapist says this is a good thing, it's just harder to appreciate at this age.
Video games are his "screen time" of choice these days, and he can get around the computer like most adults. He has 3 sites he likes in the favorites and he plays games or watches little videos. This is most effective bargaining chip in the tough moments and so I am grateful he likes it so much!
Reading and math are his favorite topics right now. He thinks its cool when 3+3 is 6 but so is 4+2 - who knew? We just recently started reading Charlotte's Web - a chapter a day and he is pretty into it.
Casey loves remote control cars and Star Wars and he is now well stocked in both. He has an incredible imagination - sometimes I don't even know he is in the midst of the greatest story line ever until Sam somehow ruins it. He has gotten more into drawing and just this last week his pictures have full stories that go with them. I hope to scan some of them so we can share the picture and the story.
Overall he is a wonderful kid - he is funny and confident, affectionate and curious. He asks questions almost constantly and really listens to the answers. He is friendly to people and is getting really good at talking on the phone. At the party there were a few kids that did not know each other and Casey was right in there, introducing his friends and making sure everyone was having a good time.
We love you Casey - the last 5 years have been like no other time in our lives!! And we wouldn't trade you for the world.
An Observation:
This year as part of the 12 Days of Birthdays we thought we would have each of the boys get a birthday present for their brother. Lots of folks do something for both of them, or the gifts are the same (not complaining!) so lots of things get opened at the party or as they arrive between the birthdays. This way, we figured, they would have things to open on their actual birthday - a present from us and a present from their brother. Jeff did both of these trips with the one who was making the selection for his brother, and it was really funny. I think we can say with confidence that Casey got for Sam something he wanted for himself and Sam did the same. So as they each opened this gift from their brother, the brother is right there, quite eager to "share it". Very funny!
No comments:
Post a Comment