Over the years I have learned a lot from women who are ahead of me in life; by years, age of their kids, life experiences. They are people that I perceive to be living a good life and I am not afraid to ask them a bunch of questions. There were women in my professional life - as a Social Worker - who helped me along. When Jeff became a pastor, I was fortunate to meet some wonderful clergy spouses who embraced the role and life in ministry. When Casey was born, I quickly set my sights on a few women that seemed to really enjoy motherhood but were able to be honest about the hard parts of it. When Sam was born, I related well to women with 2 kids older than ours and welcomed tips and advice. As the boys have gotten older I have been known to pay close attention to moms of older sets of boys and how they manage it all. Mentors are important, and I am in need of an additional one at this point.
NEEDED: Sports Mom Mentor
QUALIFICATIONS:
A mom who has successfully navigated practice and game schedules that appear to be being created as you ask about them.
A mom who has ideas about entertaining the 2 year old that wishes he could play but does not realize he should not be trying to talk to his brother in throughout the practice.
Experienced in the art of Team Snack - how much? Nutritious? Salty or sweet? Beverage? How many napkins/wet wipes?
Experience with grass stains, washing uniforms and timing it out to be ready for each game.
Has figured out how to help kids get better at their sport while still being very encouraging - say, for example, hypothetically speaking of course, your child felt a need to fall down dramatically every time he gets a ball thrown to him at first base, do we congratulate him for hustling to the ball or do we ask why he can't stay on his feet?
References not as important as willingness to respond to urgent text messages.
Apply soon please... we have snack for May 10th.

3 comments:
Hi,
I am sure you have many friends who could "coach" you along in this new endeavor. Here is my take on some of it. I wish you well. Casey will have a great time learning some new skills.
Both of my boys play sports - they have played everything but baseball - and at Casey's age - for us - it was about following the coach's directions and learning to like whatever sport it might be. At the end of practice we encouraged our kids to say, "thanks coach." I always ask each of the boys to do their best before practice and to help their teammates. I always asked after practice or at bedtime who helped them or who they might have been able to help.
It appears to have paid off; our older son coaches basketball and is a favorite coach in his league. Our younger son plays football and won a super bowl last year. He would tackle an opposing player and after the whistle often times help him get up.
As for snack, if it is your turn, you only really have to please your child with your choice. Aside from staying away from something with nuts, it is all fair game. Bring a few extras for siblings who might want/need one.
Keeping a sibling busy during a game is tough. There are parents who make their kids watch. Not us so much. We let our younger son bring his electronic item of choice b/c many games are far away. We also brought frisbes or a ball to play with if we knew there would be space. Our younger son is an avid reader so he will bring a book to read - at two that is tough - food is a good bribe - either to get him to sit during the game or as a promise for after the game.
Sometimes only one parent went to a game - especially if it was in the afternoon and it was rest time for the younger child.
The great part about sports is all the playing in the backyard and the family time. There will be a time when they don't want to be with you and now you have a great opportunity to play together and just be together. It is good stuff.
Good luck and I hope your enjoy your baseball season. Take lots of pictures. He will look so much taller and different next year. Maybe save the t-shirt to make into a pillow as a holiday gift. Our older son still has his first soccer shirt pillow that my mother in law made for him...
Debbie
Hey Bridget! Those are fun questions! I remember in little league after game snacks usually involved some sliced oranges (healthy), caprisuns, and then maybe a cookie...or you could swap back and forth. Those were often known as the staple after game snack. I'm not sure what mom's are serving these days. And as for the falling down at first base...if you have a drama queen on your hands, maybe soccer is really his sport;) Glad to hear you are getting into the swing of things. Also, any kind of little sibling "mimic but little version" of what his big brother is doing...might help:) THis coming from the baby! I don't know about all the mom stuff though!
Oh how well I remember those days! We have successfully navigated 2 boys through football, 4 kids through soccer, one girl through swimming, one kid through rugby and 3 girls through cheerleading, all the while dragging at least 3 younger kids with us. Pro-Mom tips: always bring an extra ball (of any kind!) for the little ones to play with, and bring extra 1/2 time or end-of-game snacks for the younger sibs, in case the team doesn't share. Always carry an old shower curtain in the van for those wet game fields. Be sure you also have an umbrella, blanket, folding chairs, extra socks, sunscreen, wet wipes (they cease to be diaper wipes when the kids reach sports age, so I was told) and water bottles in the van too. Remember to keep your cool, so that you don't become "those parents", and cheer loudly and long so that you do! Learn other kids names so you can cheer them on too. Nothing sounds as sweet as other parents hollering your kids name as they run the bases or connect with the ball. Meet the other parents. With any luck, they will become life-long friends. There is great comfort in knowing who your kids friends are and also knowing their parents. When the kids go off to college, these will be the parents encouraging and helping you launch your sons. Enjoy the games and enjoy watching your kids learn to win and lose. Along the way, enjoy watching their Dad grow as he learns to let them experience winning and losing. Take lots of pictures. Never look the coaches in the eye or you will mysteriously find yourself their assistant coach. Buy sports equipment at Play It Again Sports and on Craigslist because they outgrow it so fast. And if all else fails, call your neighbors. I know they will help. :)
Post a Comment