You knew it was coming ... I am predictable.
Today, the day before Thanksgiving, is now a day off school, at least in the districts around us. I don't think it was was a day off when I was in school, but anyway. I was just really aware today that this time next year, having both kiddos home with me all day will be a rarity. Our district has full day kindergarten and I hope to find some preschool for Sam. While my first thought is that I might be able to get something done before 10 pm, it will also be a huge change. I am so grateful to have been able to be at home with these boys all this time. I'm not making any statements about working moms vs stay at home moms. It's just been the right thing for our family and it has been a real privilege for me. Of course there are days I lock myself in the office and start searching the Michigan Job Bank website, and I have been known to burst into tears telling Jeff about the day. Today though just thinking about the routine and schedule that full day kindergarten will require (of all of us), I just felt really grateful for all the time I have had just playing in the living room, doing puzzles, learning letters and colors, reading books, playing hide and seek, watching Nick Jr, baking, or just being in the same space all doing our own thing, at least until someone gets injured :)
In a closely related story, I am so grateful for partnership with Jeff. His support of me being home is pretty critical to the whole operation. He works really hard, and has a job that provides us a place to live and good insurance. He takes extra weddings and funerals to help our single income lifestyle. He comes home from work and takes the kids so I can breathe for a minute, he takes the boys out on special adventures even when his day has already been one. He always backs me up on the decisions I made during the day with the boys. His work and me being home has given us so much flexibility, and allowed us to have family time even in the midst of the demands of ministry and also given us the chance to partner in work at the church which we both enjoy.
I just struggle to even imagine what next fall will bring - the start of 15 years of kids in school every day. So, I am just incredibly grateful for this unique time we have right now. I am so lucky to have good friends, wonderful family, happy and healthy boys and a fabulous partner to share it all with. Life is good.... God is good. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
1 comment:
I'm grateful for y'all! What a great post.
Post a Comment