We signed Casey up for T-Ball camp last week. 45 minutes a day for 5 days. As we pulled into the lot on Monday, I gave myself a little pep talk - gave myself permission to leave and take the loss if it just wasn't going to work. We had never tried anything like this before and just weren't sure what he would think. Turned out to be so fun - Casey loved it! He really likes hitting (hits left for some reason, coach told me to encourage it), got better at scooping up the grounders and loved running the bases. The whole thing was just a hoot. The first time we ran the bases, he was really excited but also nervous and would only go if I held his hand. The second time he needed me to start out with him but didn't notice that I quit at 2nd base. On the last day he told me he would need help running the bases, but I just didn't run and he never looked back. Like all the kids, he missed a base here and there. But he had so much fun.
He liked the coach a lot and would tell me each day as we arrived, "mom, we gotta listen to coach". On Thursday night I told him we were making some banana bread Friday afternoon to use up the bananas. I hadn't figured out who we were giving it to yet, which was good because on Friday morning he told coach we would be bringing him some banana bread. Based on the coach's reaction when we showed up in his office that afternoon with warm banana bread, I think he thought Casey was kidding.
Sam was a trooper, hanging out with the 2 or 3 other little sibs in their strollers. He always got to hold a ball and got to run the bases each day (for the record, he had no interest in me helping him).
I was really proud of Casey the whole week - he was a good listener, he tried everything, he had a great attitude about it all. He helped coach clean up without being asked and the banana bread thing was quite sweet. Could be the beginning of a great love of baseball - could also just be a fun week. Either will be fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment