Sunday, March 30, 2008

Language Barrier


It's a funny spot on the learning to talk journey. We understand a lot of what Casey has to say, even though others do not. When he says things to other people, I find myself jumping in and translating for him, and then the other person says "ooohh, ok, I get it" Those are good moments because I feel like I really get him and can see the progress of his language skills. Then there is the rest of the time. Casey will look at me intently, speak a sentence or two worth of words with hand motions and likely approproate tone, and I have no idea what he is talking about. Or worse, he will say the same attempted word over and over and over and over and I just have no idea what it is. It's kind of frustrating - for him too I imagine. And then there are the extra fun times when I say something that he doesn't like and he pretends to not undersatnd me at all. For example, "let's go upstairs for a nap", and he says "ball?"
Another language barrier moment: Due to some too early baby 2 activity, I have been told to rest more and not carry Casey anymore. No problem! (ugh) So, on Good Friday I decided to drive to church instead of walk because the ensuing blizzard was making the stroller an unattractive option. And because even though Casey often starts out good with walking over, he eventually turns and wants to be carried. Anyway, I tell Casey we are going to church - "Yeah!" he exclaims and finds his coat. We put on his coat and he hustles to the back door, how we would ususally go. So I tell him we are going in the car this time. Lots of negotiating and attempts to explain later I end up carrying a screaming kicking 32 pounder out to the car. The whole time I am buckling him in and driving over, he is yelling/crying "CHURCH! CHURCH!" So we pull into the parking lot, and I say "See where we are? It's church". From the back seat, a lovely silence.
He looks around.
"Church! Yeah!"
I'm ready for some of that recommended rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story about language development. Thanks. G Nelson