We moved into our new house on a Monday, and on Thursday the dogs arrived on the scene. The boys were missing them terribly so I was glad for them but to be honest, I had not missed them much. I am sure I would have eventually...
Our new house does not yet have a fully fenced yard as we had hoped (it will soon) so it presents some logistical challenges. Bruce is great in the yard with us out there as long as a certain small critter doesn't happen to come by. Obie cannot hear, so even if he wanders a bit, it requires chasing and carrying back. Both dogs get a little antsy on the leash, mostly from being too close to each other, and Bruce gets oddly territorial (or something) when we pay attention to Obie. They both love to be outside, especially in this heat, but cannot be out alone until the fence is in. Good times.
Bruce had been here less than 24 hours and he tore a hole in the screen of the back door. A little while later, it took him about 8 minutes to break a lead designed for a dog twice his weight. I was a *tad* frustrated (read hysterical). As calmly as I could, I informed the boys that if things didn't get better, Bruce might not be able to stay. I assured them that I would not take that decision lightly but that I would not let him destroy this house. Yesterday I was between both dogs, wrapped in both leashes and the decision wasn't feeling that hard.
In the move, we have gotten two new couches (saved up for a couple years!) and they are perfect for the new house. We have decided that these couches are not for the dogs. We discussed it as a family and all committed to working at this - it would take some adjustment for everyone - the dogs had free reign on the couches at the old house. Those couches are now in the basement tv area and are available for their use. We realized though that the couch had become Bruce's "safe place" and since he is being scolded a lot right now, it made sense that he would head for the couch. He was staying off the couch while we were here but when we went our, we could tell he had been up there. Unfortunately for Bruce, his hair gives him away.
So today we got Bruce a dog bed. We then went though the paces of leading him to the couch and saying, firmly, NO. Then to the dog bed and praising him for getting on it.
Casey has been very calm and collected and tried to help with whatever he can - I know he is very concerned that Bruce will push it (me) too far and he does not want to lose Bruce. He has worked with Bruce and tried to help me not get too mad. He really does have a way with dogs that is pretty special.
So this picture was from tonight, as we watched Survivor together. Casey snuggled Bruce into loving this dog bed. He hasn't left it all night now. We cleaned the couch of all dog hair one more time. Fingers crossed.

No comments:
Post a Comment